From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:17:06 -0500
---- Debbie Albert, Ph.D., IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>     I am so completely appalled with all the HEAD  RAMMING that is going
> around also.  Most of my consults involve moms who  hold the center of their
> babies heads, have what I call "petrified  wrist"--wrists don't bend, so mom can
> place palm in baby's upper back.  The  re-education usually involves-- we push
> the baby's upper back, NOT the head (no  one likes their head pushed),

I'm not appalled because many new moms today have never even held a newborn or young baby before, much less seen good BF occur. In all honesty, I'm sometimes amazed they-their babies do as well as they do -- all things considered! Would think it would be pretty difficult to BF when not even comfortable/relaxed at just holding. (Another reason for early KMC.)

At any rate, I usually ask them if they've ever been held underwater when a little kid in a pool with a bigger kid thinking he's/she's being funny. Most experienced that at some point or another during childhood. Then I ask how they felt about it and what their first reaction was. I find this helps them get the idea of "support" the head vs. "hold/push/ram." They remember how out of control they felt, but they just aren't familiar with new babies. When it comes to facilitating latch, both mom and baby need to feel in control of where baby's head is going until baby "gets" it, so I find that most moms are happy to learn a different way to go about it.

Karen