ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:01:46 -0400

     We use the hand-held Scalar scopes-- both in a traveling exhibition
on magnification and cells (It's a Nano World) and recently in a
permanent exhibit at our museum.

    As mentioned, we do encase the camera, lens, and cord in a custom
housing of modified electrical fittings to protect them:   the plastic
cover on the lens is somewhat vulnerable but can be recessed into the
housing, the cord can get bent and damaged with a lot of use, and the
camera is valuable;   this also enables us to set the location for the
lenses so that items are in focus as you touch things with the housing,
and also keep visitors from changing the buttons on the camera to off,
etc.  You can see one set of photos at

http://www.itsananoworld.org/magnification2.htm

and I'd be happy to send a few digital photos to anyone who wishes.

     They are versatile, as you can put in different lenses-- we use
two, one each with 30X and 200x lenses.  This makes for a real "Wow!"
factor for our visitors, who are usually quite surprised to see how
their hair, clothing, skin, etc. look when really magnified.  The 200X
is of course a bit harder to use, with a narrower depth of field-- so
having samples that include fuzzy fabrics, carpet, and the like is a
good idea.

     Being able to manipulate and move around the camera, especially to
look at themselves, makes this whole weird new world of
zoom/magnification a lot more tangible to our visitors.

     We switched to the L-2 model ~3 years ago for several reasons (any
of those things might have changed/improved--  I haven't seen a VL-7 in
a long time now):

1)   the lenses have a much better bayonet mechanism to secure them to
the camera body.

2)  the cord is more durable and easier for us to protect-- the old VL-7
had a coiled phone-type cord that was problematic with a lot of use

3)  I think the L-2 model may not generate as much heat altho' we still
pull some air by the camera body (via a fan inside the cabinet, and
through the flexible conduit);  in prototyping we found the VL-7 camera
was pretty warm and would eventually stop working (permanently) if it
was encased with no cooling.

     With all the use in the traveling exhibition, we do seem to replace
the lenses every 6-9 months, and the camera bodies every year or so.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY