From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:25:27 +0000
I asked for the Brendel cycle at my local Classical music shop and it was
gasp 105UKP.

But it was not on vox.

When were they recorded?

David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>

 [The recordings Brendel made for Vox (of darn near everything for solo
 piano Beethoven wrote) date from c. 1962-64.  Some time in the early
 1070s, Brendel became an exclusive artist with Philips.  He re-recorded
 the sonatas and some of the other major works (Diabelli and Eroica
 Variations, for example) for Philips c. 1987-93.  It seems to me that
 there was also an earlier Philips set, perhaps from the 70s, and it is
 these recordings that are available in the Philips "Duo" series as a
 re-release (though I think this release is only of "favorites", not a
 complete set).  I'm sure someone can confirm that, if it is the case.
 I suspect the price you were quoted was for the most recent Philips
 set, which should be full-priced.  Bottom line: the Vox recordings
 from the 60s are budget-priced, the Philips recordings from the 70s(?)
 are mid-priced, and the latest Philips recordings from the late 80s/early
 90s are full-priced.  Check the Vox and Philips web sites (linked from
 Classical Net) for more details and availability.  -Dave]