From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:06:18 -0500
To all prospective almond pollinators:

I hope this can be my last post on the subject.

Bottom line is that if you're going to want to play the almond game, you're
going to have to manage your bees specifically for almond pollination.  My
whole beekeeping year revolves around one date--February 10th.  That's when
bees go into almonds, and are graded for strength a few days later.   When
they come out of almonds in March, all I'm thinking about is how to get them
ready for next February!  Honey, other pollination, sales of bees, etc. are
all secondary. Not to say that you can't go home and make splits or honey,
just always keep your eye on whether or not you're on track for February!

East of the Rockies you have the luxury, like Kirk Webster said in ABJ, to
let the weak and mite-infested colonies die off over winter and restock from
early splits.  You can't do that with almonds.  You're going to have to pump
up your bees from August on so they winter with a big cluster of young bees,
lots of late brood rearing, fat with pollen or supplement, plenty of honey,
and  stock that builds up early regardless of the weather or pollen flows.
Most important, they absolutely can't be compromised by mites (or any other
disease) during the last rounds of brood rearing, or going into cluster, or
they will dwindle or collapse in January or February.  Winter time is WAY
too late to think about getting your bees ready for almonds;  think August
at the latest!

The demand is going to be there for bees next year.  The growers will be
willing to pay for them.  They will also be wanting to get their money's
worth with "big bees."  Almond pollination is certainly not for everyone.
Read Bob Harrison's article in last year's ABJ (does nonstop winter rain,
deep mud, and blasting wind that rips covers off sound like fun?)  Endless
unnamed roads.  Murphy's Law in full effect.  Read my previous posts (I can
email anyone a summary).  Avoid unpleasant and costly surprises.  The almond
growers are good guys and support us.  The brokers I know are good guys and
gals(I'm not forgetting you).  If you want to play the game, learn the
rules, know the risks, and be prepared!  Good luck :)

Randy Oliver
Calif