ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Pete St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:26:52 -0500

We have one currently out on floor where the visitor tries to catch "moths"
as they fly around on a touch screen.  Some are brightly lit but fast
moving and others are slower but well camouflaged.  I find that the kids
really like the "catching" stage as there's a lot of movement on screen,
but they don't really wait for the successive screens showing how the
remaining moth population evolves.  In the end, I'd say it's a good example
of evolution based on natural selection, but it requires some patience
usually in the form of a parent.

Pete
Museum of The Earth
At 12:08 PM 02/08/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>

>Hi,
>
>We're looking for a computer interactive that demonstrates how the process
>of natural selection works, for an upcoming exhibit we're planning on
>island ecology and evolution.  Has anyone seen any such interactives out
>there?  I heard there might be one in the new Darwin exhibit at the
>American Museum but haven't been to see it yet.  Any information would be
>much appreciated.  Thanks,
>
>Julie

>Julie S. Desmond
>Senior Exhibit Researcher, Ecology
>Exhibit Development Department
>California Science Center
>700 State Drive
>Los Angeles, CA  90037
>www.californiasciencecenter.org

>More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
>Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
>

>--

Pete St. John
Exhibit Manager
Museum of the Earth at the Paleontological Research Institution
1259 Trumansburg Road, Ithaca, NY14050
Ph: (607) 273-6623 ext. 28
Fax: (607) 273-6620
Email: [log in to unmask]

Conquering Darkness: The Art of Charles R. Knight
October 21 through April 15
Visit us on the Web at: www.museumoftheearth.org and at www.priweb.org
The Museum of the Earth is part of Ithaca's Discovery Trail. Learn more at
www.discoverytrail.net