ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dennis Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:38:37 -0700

Dear all,

I assume the voting in Prague may be done by now, but I have not seen
the final results.  I can imagine they will not make a decision, since
the definition of a planet will not affect what researchers do.  This
deferment of a decision was hinted at in yesterday's NY Times article --
see link below:

SCIENCE / SPACE & COSMOS   | August 23, 2006
Astronomers in a Quandary Over Pluto's Status
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/science/space/23pluto.html?ex=1156996
800&en=43fec7085e284b55&ei=5070&emc=eta1>

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/science/space/23pluto.html?ex=11569968
00&en=43fec7085e284b55&ei=5070&emc=eta1

The segment from the Cobert Report regarding the planet definition
controversy is quite funny.  If you haven't seen it, I've given the link
below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7l2G2a6js

Enjoy!

Dennis

PS - I wonder what major astronomical discovery we are not hearing about
because of the focus on the definition of a planet?

"Work hard to find something that fascinates you. When you find it you
will know your lifework" -- Richard Feynman

Dennis Schatz, Vice President for Education

Pacific Science Center, 200 Second Ave. No., Seattle, WA 98109

Phone - 206-443-2867; Fax - 206-443-3631

Pacific Science Center

A non-profit bringing science and kids together

in every county of Washington State