ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
ET Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:25:20 -0500

Hello,

The same writer, Edward Rothstein, wrote a big article at the opening of our new wing that was thought- and argument- provoking, not unlike this article.  In it, he focused on contrasting two "new" exhibitions that were part of our expansion.  The first is in fact an old exhibition, Mathematica: A World of Numbers, by Charles and Ray Eames.  The second was "Connections: The Nature of Networks" a project that I led.  Without going into details, he contrasted the two with a deep admiration for the Eames exhibition (which I very much share), while referring to Connections as an 'enterprising if flawed exhibition.'

Ironically, he ends up with this comment:

"So a visit to the welcome new wing should also include a detour. For while the hands-on style of the
Exploratorium is everywhere triumphant, and often justly so, there is also room for something more
daring and perhaps more involving, something that "Mathematica" represents. It might be called an
Explanatorium. "

I think it is excellent to have a cultural commentator at the Times, and one as prominent as Rothstein, engaged in our work to this degree.  We should cultivate and encourage this interest, and perhaps can leverage articles such as the Explo vs Tech museum and Mathematica vs Connections into more local media engagement.

I'd be glad to send a copy of the article he wrote about the Hall's expansion to anyone interested.  Just let me know.

Eric Siegel
Exec VP Programs and Planning
NY Hall of science