ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nina Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:19:57 -0400

I think the Australian calendar is fairly benign and diverse (age-wise)
in its images.  Here's the US analog: http://www.geekgorgeous.com/

Frankly, I think it would be reasonable to see a calendar of this type
featuring both genders.  While we may associate IT and science jobs with
men, I don't think we typically think of those men as particularly
pinup-worthy...  "Check out the hot abs on that printer repair guy"--not
something I hear every day.

It's interesting to me that "geeks" might need a sexy calendar to
assuage (mis)perceptions about their attractiveness, but marketing guys,
accountants, etc. do not.  I don't think appearance has as much to do
with the gender gap as the gendered role of language and communication
in the world of engineering.  I'd be more surprised by a calendar
featuring "geeks" doing social, creative, emotionally expressive
activities than one that shows them without shirts.

Of course, I'd probably be more interested in the images of the
shirtless ones. :)

Nina