ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lath Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:47:19 -0400

This discussion touches on a topic that has intrigued me for a while,
the loss of meaning of symbols in our culture. As computers and software
have taken over as the tools of choice in many fields the symbols which
previously identified those fields have lost their meaning. A T-square
no longer identifies a draftsman or architect, a roll or frame of film a
photographer, or a beaker a lab scientist. This puts graphic designers
and photographers in a bind. How do you visually communicate a person's
occupation when most of use are using the same tools and dressed the
same way? The use of symbols such as beakers and lab coats is a bit of
culture lag, they still work as symbols because they existed in the
near-past, but that will soon be changing. How many 20 year olds know
what a T-square or slide rule is/was? The challenge is to develop a new
visual vocabulary which does not rely on ephemeral technology as
symbols.

Lath Carlson

Manager of Interactive Technology
Art Guild Inc.