ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Krampf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:54:27 EST

Susanna,

I have had a lot of experience dealing with Fiire Marshals as I travel with
my show "Burning Questions: The Science of Fire."   They usually start by
saying something along the lines of "Yes, you THINK you are going to do a fire
show."   I always ask them to watch the show, and tell them that I will drop any
demo that they don't like.   The demos range from lycopodium dust flares to
sprinkling powdered iron into a flame for spark showers to using movie stunt gel
to set my hand on fire.   In 12 years of doing this show, I have never had to
drop a demo.

A big part of this is in the presentation.   I follow fire safety proceedures
very carefully, making sure that I always have a fire extinguisher on stage,
all cloth and paper are treated with flame retardants, etc.   I carefully
control quantities, which is also important.   For example, with your hydrogen
balloon, be sure that your hydrogen tank is stored someplace else, and bring in
the pre-filled balloons.   Stress safety during the demo.   I tie a string to
the balloon, with a weight to hold it in place.   I use safety goggles, and
ignite the balloon with a candle tied to the end of a yard stick.   Play up the
safety angle, setting the fire extinguisher on the table before had.

Also, be sure that the demo plays an important role in the program.   If the
demo is vital to understanding a key point, they are much more likely to
accept it than if it is just stuck on to add a bang to the end of the show.   Pay
close attention to the script, making it tight and polished.

Attitude is also important.   Don't argue with them.   Be VERY professional,
and know your stuff.   Just using the proper terms can help a LOT.   Do a
Google search for (fire marshal fuel accelerant) and you will get sites with all
the right words.   Instead of trying to convince them to let you do the demo,
ask them what you can change to make it acceptable.   Even better, get them in
on the ground floor when you develop the program.   If they have input, they
feel connected and you will have a much easier time.

It also matters who is doing the demo.   A student volunteer doing the demo
is not going to be nearly as likely to get approval as a full time instructor
with a degree in chemistry.

If you have any questions, give a yell.

Robert Krampf
Robert Krampf's Science Shows