ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:15:49 -0500

I would have thought there would be mention of an appeal as well but
apparently the defendants' lawyers said the opposite - that there were no
plans to appeal. Genie Scott (NCSE) thinks instead they'll just work on
their "theory" more so that the next time they'll be better armed for the
usual arguments - like being connected with creationism and religion.

Some people have said they hoped it would go to the Supreme Court because if
they ruled against it, the verdict would be that much stronger for future
trials.

Still, that 139 page ruling makes for surprisingly good reading and the
Judge really seems to hit on every issue worth mentioning. There are a lot
of comments about why ID isn't science that are worth reproducing. His words
are powerful, especially with reference to the "tactics" used by ID
proponents. I doubt a future trial could escape this precendent and rule in
favor of ID.

We're going to highlight Barbara Forrest as woman of the year on
skepchick.org. She did a fantastic job with her testimony.

A reminder for those interested, we have an ID watch site at
www.csicop.org/intelligentdesignwatch/

Best,
Amanda

***
Amanda Chesworth, Educational Director
Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal
www.csicop.org
Inquiring Minds Program
www.inquiringminds.org
Skeptical Inquirer Magazine