From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:30:32 -0600
A recent post that quoted the cost of a conventional hive piqued my
interest.   I went to Mann Lake's website and priced a conventional
hive.  Arbitrarily I included a hive stand, two 9 5/8" hive bodies
with 10 frames each, three 6 5/8" medium supers with 10 frames each,
inner cover, and outer cover.  Please don't quibble too much, as the
cost is intended to be an approximation.  The cost of the above
items, unassembled bodies but assembled frames/foundation, is $167.45.

I just thought I would share this in the spirit of answering the
common question from potential beekeepers who want to know how much
it will cost them to get started.  I'm going to have to update my
standard answer to that question since I've been lowballing it quite
a bit.  Looks like the cost for starting with two colonies is about
$550.

For reference, here are my notes.  If I did something stupid in the
calculations, please be gentle.

9 5/8 hive body $9.95              2   $19.90
9 1/8 frames w/Rite-Cell $1.99         20    39.80
6 5/8 medium super $6.95                      3     20.85
6 1/4 frames w/Rite-Cell $1.90        30     57.00
Outer + inner cover $20.95                  1  20.95
Hive stand $8.95                                      1   8.95

Total  $167.45

Smoker     $30
Veil        25
Feeders     10