From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:10:55 -0500
Thanks to everyone who posted and prayed for mom and baby...
Mom and baby are home today...baby gained 4 oz in two days on Reglan,
Prevacid, breastmilk thickened with rice cereal, followed by direct
breastfeeding...

I am glad to know about SimplyThick should a starch thickener fail to
work in the future...
I think the physicians are surprised that rice cereal worked in this
case because of the amylase issue...

Is the fact that the mom is using freshly expressed milk, as opposed
to milk that has sat in the frig or been frozen,
have anything to do with it...is the amylase golgi, that is, membrane
bound?

Is uniform thickening is not as important as they believe?
I run across several articles that suggest that there are nerves in
the stomach which act as sensors, if the sensors are triggered the
sphincter is tightened and it doesn't matter if some of the stomach
contents are thick and some are thin everything stays down better...I
have seen it described as flipping a switch- if  something dense on
the stomach the switch is flipped...

I am interested in this concept because the mother already feels a
difference in the baby at the breast because of all the bottles he
has been getting...
Does anyone have an experiencing with putting just a small amount of
thickened feed on the baby's tummy at some point during the feeding
but letting most of the feeding come directly from the mother's breast?

Thanks,
Jen O'Quinn IBCLC