ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:35:17 -0500

I've got an idea for a session at the ASTC 2006 Conference based on
some important issues raised at the ASTC 2005 Conference in Richmond.
I'm hoping some others might think the idea is intriguing and useful
and perhaps have some ideas about what this kind of session might look
like.

The pseudo-strand on NCLB at the ASTC 2005 Conference thoughtfully
addressed many issues associated with science center relationships
with schools, including ways that science centers are working with
schools in an age of increased accountability for formal education. It
also raised many questions that I hope will be followed up in
Louisville in 2006.

Some issues these discussions raised for me concern how educators in
science centers perceive the appropriateness of attempting to address
standards in the school curriculum at science centers, what kinds of
goals seem appropriate for students on field trips, and what kinds of
activities best support those goals. From recent posts on this
listserv, it seems clear that goals of exhibits/programs are values to
which members of this community have strong commitments. However,
beyond discussions like these, I don't know of any data that suggest
what "the field" thinks about these issues, or what factors (e.g.,
institution size?) might affect an educator's beliefs.

I'm planning some survey research (in which many of you will probably
be asked to participate - consider this an unofficial first request
for participation!) to attempt to figure out what science center
educators believe about school curriculum and its relationship to
science center programs. I think this information might be interesting
to educators in the field - if for no other reason than to have more
information about what other educators might be thinking.

I'm thinking that the presentation of this research could be a part of
a session about science center/school relationships, professional
development needs of the ASTC community, or perhaps even a panel like
the ones we had in Richmond around NCLB.

If anybody is interested in this topic or has some ideas about how the
research I'm conducting might fit into a session you've considered,
I'd love to hear from you.

Please contact me off the list for this. My email address is

I look forward to hearing from you!

Bill

p.s. I think my name might have come up as "William Watson" since I'm
using a web based version of my email program to send this. I haven't
gone to using my full name...I still like "Bill" better. It's much
more informal. :)