From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:35:03 -0800
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For example:This is the symphony / that Schubert wrote and
>never finished.

I have never understood the rationale which produced such an approach
in teaching.  As I recounted on this list before, my father's experience
of having the opening of Beethoven's Fifth equated to fate knocking at
the door.  His music appreciation teacher was Daniel Gregory Mason!

Thinking about this I am reminded of how many of us would prepare
for our music history listening exams.  With say, a bunch of motets to
remember, we would count the number of clicks on a phrase, knowing that
the teacher would be using the same discs for the quiz as we were using
for our study.  I can't say it gave me any better understanding of the
music, but I did develop a keen awareness to surface noise on a recording.

I am also reminded of the "music memory" contests which were a national
trend over the years.

Can anyone explain why remembering the tune was thought to lead to an
appreciation for the music.

Karl