From:
Sandra Beane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:45:37 EST
Kenneth Robert McGuire wrote:

>Janos Starker has been an impressive player for at least the last 40 years.
>He should also be considered, but his appeal is more to cellists than the
>general public.

I agree that Janos Starker is an excellent cellist.  And there is no
doubt in my mind that anyone listening to him would disagree.  I feel
that there are certain things that a cellist would pick up naturally that
other listeners would not pick up because they are not as familiar with the
instrument.  For example, his recording of the Saint Saens Concerto.  There
is a passage in there that is so articulate that, for me, is impossible to
duplicate.  He has a natural talent for clarity.  Correct me if I am wrong,
but this is what I believe Mr. McGuire was talking about.

Sandra Beane