From:
David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:50:59 PST
John Bell Young wrote:

>It may be that those who have a hard time listening to dodecaphonic or
>twelve tone works, at least masterpieces of the genre, are too anxious
>to find "melodies" in some conventional sense, where such are governed
>principally by tertiary harmony and proceed, with the unaffected simplicity
>of a folk tune (although even folk tunes can be implicitly richer
>contrapuntally than some are willing to give them credit for!) from point
>A to point B.

Well, what I hear in a lot of dodecaphonic music is 12-tone "cliches"- the
rising ninth, falling tri-tone, "atmosphere" built out of adjacent tones,
etc.  My ears are accustomed to them, but that makes them no more fresh.
We probably have film music to blame for this.  After 50 years of music in
the "13th key" I suspect the time to absorb the style into other things and
MOVE ON is probably long past.

BTW, after a long absence, I'm back.  Hello to anyone who might remember me
from past postings.

Uncle Dave Lewis