From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:23:16 +0100
My thought when hearing of someone who thought it was moving from west to
east coast that made the advice she got, inconsistent was that this is
reported as the main stressor of mothers from virtually every place in the
world where women are cared for in maternity institutions.  On my ward you
only have to stay past one change of shift to get wildly differing versions
of how to latch, how long, and how frequently to feed.  Sometimes you can
even get two opinions on the same shift.  I don't think my workplace is
unique.

One of the things that happens when staff must go through preparation for a
Baby-Friendly evaluation, is that reports of conflicting advice do decline.
The more people there are with updated knowledge, the better the odds that
mothers will get good help.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway