From:
Heather Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:00:27 -0600
I got this email today asking for milk donations.  Who is this, does anyone
know? Is the the milkbank that we have been talking about?

National Milk Bank Now Accepting Donations Nationwide

9/16/05

- Now mothers can donate regardless of their location

Westlake Village, CA - September 12, 2005 - National Milk Bank (NMB), the
nation's first non-profit virtual human milk donation organization, has
announced its official launch with the participation of its first donor. The
donated milk will undergo a specialized pasteurization process and will soon
become available for premature and critically-ill babies in need.

"We are so excited to accept our first donation," reports Paige Sheesley,
Donation Coordinator for NMB, "this will be the first of many more to come."
NMB was established in Southern California earlier this year for the purpose
of collecting human milk from qualified donors across the United States.
Potential donors undergo a rigorous qualification process which amongst
other things, test for infectious diseases, medical history and lifestyle
habits which can affect the safety and quality of breast milk.

Under an agreement with Prolacta Bioscience, NMB will send the collected
milk to their facility for treatment and packaging. Prolacta, also located
in Southern California, holds the patent for the proprietary pasteurization
process which includes exposing donated milk to flash-heat, killing unwanted
bacteria while preserving elements necessary for nutritional benefit. The
treated milk is then packaged into 10mL syringes and prepared for shipment
to infants in NICU's nationwide.

About National Milk Bank:
The National Milk Bank (NMB) is a nationwide, non-profit organization that
collects donated human milk, ensures milk safety and quality and makes it
available for infants in need. It exists to provide premature and
critically-ill babies with the best possible nutrition for survival and
healthy development by conveniently and confidentially collecting milk from
qualified donors throughout the United States.

Heather Shelley CD(DONA, PALS) CPD, CBE

 <http://www.birthingyourway.com> www.birthingyourway.com

Midwifery Student MCU