From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:35:41 -0400
At last!
An article that makes no apologizes for promoting breastfeeding.
Please read it - it will make your day! You can write to the author by
clicking on her name when you access the URL. I did :)

norma

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=000BB3FD-4EF3-4AE4-A643-186EB394EF65
Class Teaches Moms-to-be How To Breastfeed With Confidence
Backus Hospital offering regular monthly meetings

By SUSAN BANNING
Day Staff Writer
Published on 9/29/2005

The images from Katrina play like a slide show in our minds, with the
frame freezing just a little bit longer than usual when we see a
father holding up his infant and saying, "She needs food!"

As the political football gets tossed around about how the response
was bungled, this much is true: The dehydrated baby is one sad sight
that could have absolutely, positively been prevented. Every
breastfeeding mother watching television who saw that child
undoubtedly said to herself, "This poor baby would not be starving now
if her mom was nursing her."

Expectant parents hear a litany of "what's best" advice regarding
their newborns, but sometimes it takes something as monumental as a
natural disaster to bring home what is really important. Not only is
breastfeeding a nutritional bonanza for an infant that will have
lifelong ramifications, it is the most convenient and healthy way a
mother can feed her child no matter what is going on in the world
around her.