From:
Dann Purvis II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:33:02 -0400
Before we converged our six lines of bees into one large closed population
in year 2000, we had developed or isolated two lines of bees that would
consistently test hygienically above 85% at 24 hours (liquid Nitrogen, same
age brood, with re-test confirmation).  One line originated from Dr. Spivak
bees and the other from a local beekeeper.  The other 4 lines were evaluated
and fell short in hygienic behavior evaluations but carried other evaluated
traits deemed necessary to our goal of developing a bee that can survive
without chemical intervention while producing well.

The following is some of what we have learned concerning selecting for,
testing, etc., of hygienic behavior.

Hygienic behavior is not that difficult to bring out.  We could use the
pinprick method especially if the brood was pierced (multiple times) from
the backside of the brood comb through the mid-rib but chose to use liquid
Nitrogen because it was easier, faster, more consistent and therefore more
accurate.

Instrumental insemination helps speed the selection process up but is not
mandatory.  The local beekeeper was making leave alone splits.

Strictly as a Vmite fighting trait, Hygienic behavior is not successful.  I
believe hygienic is more valuable for brood diseases (EFB, AFB, Sacbrood,
and Chalkbrood).  For that reason we included it was in our closed
population.

We have seen a significant drop in brood diseases, which I attribute
partially to the hygienic genes, an increase in propolis production and high
brood viability (95%+).

Some of our strongest survivors are not our most hygienic however some
stronger survivors have shown mite counts above the norm and most with more
than usual propolis.

IMHO, these and other genetic traits (grooming behavior, virus resistance,
etc.), conducive mite genetics, high brood viability and chemical free hive
conditions, are all needed for survival.

Thanks,

Dann Purvis

Purvis Brothers Apiaries, Inc.
5122 Trackrock Camp Road