ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dennis Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:44:19 -0700

Dear all,

We had some discussions at the Science Center regarding how Jeff Hapeman got the aurora photo with such a wide range of colors and brightness.  I decided to write him about the image.  For those who are interested, here is his response:

It is a single 30 second exposure taken at ISO 1600 and f/1.4; no layering or multiple exposures.  I used a Canon 1Ds Mark II; that camera has excellent dynamic range and very low noise.  Because of that, I was able to use the Curves function of Photoshop to bring up the dimmer parts of the image--but this is also very close to how it looked coming out of the camera.

The real challenge was to sit still for 30s.  If you looked at the full-sized image, you would see that I am a little blurry from movement (but I did not post a full-sized image; that camera produces a 16-megapixel image).

Jeff

"Work hard to find something that fascinates you. When you find it you will know your lifework" -- Richard Feynman

Dennis Schatz
Vice President for Education
Pacific Science Center
200  Second Ave. No.
 Seattle, WA 98109
Phone - 206-443-2867
Fax - 206-443-3631

A non-profit bringing science and kids together
in every county of  Washington State