HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:27:39 -0500
Daniel-

Years ago, as a field tech, I witnessed the excavation of a cavity in what had been a fairly informal stove platform in a later addition to an Irish workers' tenement associated with a paper mill in Saratoga County, N.Y. In the cavity was a plain, overturned flowerpot containing a sherd of transfer-printed whiteware, a large cut nail and a couple of other items of just plain rubbish (I no longer recall exactly what, but I can probably find out next week if anyone is interested). Knowing that the residents had mostly been Irish, I asked an Irish immigrant friend who is very knowledgeable about Irish customs whether it meant anything to her. She immediately answered that throughout the south and west of Ireland it was and sometimes still is a custom to bury something of the former home under the hearth of a new one. She said it didn't really matter what it was, as long as it was a piece of home.

What is the reference for this "volume of 4,000 folk beliefs"?

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/04/05 8:25 AM >>>
Sounds like a possible case of ritual concealment of objects, which was once
commonplace. The following link has some additional information on concealed
artifacts, and a check of any historic folk beliefs in a particular study
area may provide additional information on both types of artifacts concealed
and why the objects may have been hidden in the first place. In Kentucky,
for instance, we have a volume of some 4,000 folk beliefs that were
collected in the early 1900s. In this volume was listed the belief that a
piece of "Indian flint" placed in the chimney or hearth was thought to keep
hawks away from your chickens. Suddenly, I was able to make sense of several
points and bifaces found in chimneys over the years. We've identified a
possible witch bottle at one site and I'm currently looking for evidence of
additional concealed items at previously excavated sites.

http://www.oldhouses.com.au/docs/ritual.html

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet