From:
Lee & Karen Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:49:07 +1200
I feel so much about breastfeeding is about all the 5 senses working together beautifully to create this wonderful experience at each and every feed.  I personally find you cannot achieve a good latch with the hands and arms tucked down, especially if the hands are folded over the baby's chest wall.  The baby would then be stretching its neck (which is very short) to reach the breast!  The only time I find the need to tuck in an arm is with a baby that has had stressful experiences at the breast and has learned to resist when the breast is offered.  Even then I only tuck down the outside arm allowing the inside arm to wrap around the posterior side of the offered breast.

The tactile experience of breastfeeding is very important to both mother and baby.  After 1 - 2 weeks of age the baby no longer gets his or her hands in the way and "kneads" mums breast like a little kitten.  I usually then observe Mum inspecting those little fingers and playing with the soft nail beds before moving onto the baby's head to "groom" and pet a little more.

Which brings me on to the subject of babies nails.  Little scissors, emory boards etc are just another baby gimmick that people think they must have.  All babies scratch their faces at least a few times before they realise the connection.  Perhaps this is their first experience of cause and effect!  If babies fingernails are left alone by artifical products and just "fiddled" with by mum while baby feeds, they do not need trimming for at least 2 years.  This was my experience with my 4 children and it is what I advise my clients.  When they return to me with another pregnancy and the subject comes up they are amazed to report this was their experience too.

My other concern about tight swaddling and/or mittens is how it applies to back sleeping.  Any experts out there on SIDS may be able to answer this.  I thought there was a relationship between the hands being free (usually above the head) and the baby's palms being a heat cooling system.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Karen Palmer
Midwife
New Zealand