ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:08:20 -0500

What a great topic.

I've learned a lot from the podcast responses so far - it sounds like some
really interesting things are being done with podcasts. I might even
download some to see what all the fuss is about.

I do have a question about this discussion that is related to the evaluation
of success of the use of podcasts: For what purpose does a science
center/museum develop a podcast in the first place? Some possible reasons
that occur to me, and some that have been mentioned on this list, include:

*to make a normally free service (e.g., a radio broadcast) available to more
listeners
*to save time at the "bricks and mortar" facility (i.e., download an audio
track/tour so you don't have to deal with lines at the museum)
*to entice people to visit the actual museum
*to increase traffic to the museum's website
*others???

From an education standpoint, I think that any podcast that provides
information about science, related or unrelated to the actual exhibits and
programs that an institution offers, is a great idea - just one more way to
educate. From a business (and somewhat more cynical) standpoint, however, I
wonder about the utility of offering a (free?) podcast that doesn't bring
people in the door or have some marketing impact. If a podcast provides
information that whets the appetite of a potential visitor, great. If it
increases traffic to a website, that's a great outcome. If it provides an
incentive to purchase tickets online (Free podcast with online ticket
purchase!), OK. If more people are aware that the museum is there in the
first place (as they might through a podcast of a radio broadcast),
terrific. If none of these things, however, then why would the science
center spend the financial and human resources necessary to have podcasts in
the first place?

I think before we can answer Matthew's question about measuring success, we
have to define what our hopeful outcome is. I'll be very interested to hear
what those who are using these potentially powerful tools see as their
intended outcomes.

Bill