Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:02:06 +0100
From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Leon Le Leu wrote:

>It is very easy for us to condemn Strauss now for staying in Germany
>under Hitler but what would we have done?

I cant speak for you but I would have emigrated.  I cannot live without
freedom and in the company of people who enjoy taking other peoples
freedom.

>Unfortunately he did not have the clarity of hindsight which we now
>possess.  If I were asked to conduct Wagner at Bayreuth I doubt whether
>I would have said no (presuming I had the required ability).

But would you have composed a piece for the Perverted Music exhibition?
This is the touchstone. And dont tell me it was impossible to refuse.
After all he was the famous Strauss. He would have lost some money but
surely not his freedom and his life. But he was vain and that
compromised him the most.

Robert