Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:27:21 -0500
Hi Kelli,

In my "clinical" experience (homebirth midwife assistant) the women are
dedicated to natural birth, and all fully expect to (and are expected to)
breastfeed. Every birth/baby I've attended, except one, the baby breastfed
within 1 hour of birth. The one who did not had an unexpected cleft of the
soft palate. So, that's 24 babies who did, and one who did not.

Interesting reading includes The Impact of Birthing Practices on
Breastfeeding - Protecting the Mother and Baby Continuum, by Mary Kroeger
and Linda Smith. Page 105-111 talk specifically on the effect of epidural
anesthesia and breastfeeding activity. Another book I really like is Michel
Odent's, The Scientification of Love. He talks about the oxytocin present at
birth and how it is the love hormone. Epidurals block this drug in both the
mother and baby, and they have to work harder to overcome the chemical
disruption. I forget if it's his book, but there is also a study that talks
about sheep who had epidurals who refused to accept their lambs. Goes along
the same lines. Humans can work to overcome hurdles, it's just more
difficult.

Good luck in your studies!

Heather "Sam" Doak
also SN

<<
My questions are these: What are being seen in clinical practice? Is there
a connection in the use of epidural analgesia and the initiation of
breastfeeding? Is there is certain combination of epidural analgesia that
causes this more than another?

Kelli Olerud, SN
University of North Dakota