HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeremy Pye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:04:25 -0800
Greetings all,

I have been working on cataloging some NPS material
from Ft. Smith, Arkansas.  The excavations were done
in 1985/86, and the site dates to the late 19th
century.  However, there are intrusive artifacts, such
as 1971 penny, and 1950s nickels. I have come across a
perforated/punched token/coin/charm that has a very
interesting design on it.  To view an image of this
token, go to the following URL.

http://www.projectpast.org/jpye/perforated_token_3_9_2006.jpg

I am hoping that someone might know what the design
represents (organization, or some such affiliation).
thanks. keep in mind that it is likely from the early
20th century, as there were also 1920-1940s marbles
recovered from the same test area.

Please let me know if you recognize this symbol. Thank
you.

Jeremy Pye
University of Arkansas