ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:09:50 -0400

I had considered eliminating "around us".

Nothing in science is ever "proved"; it is our best approximation at
the moment.

And yes the natural world is in distinction to the supernatural world.

The natural world is of nature.

I really think most 7 yo understand "learning" and "understanding".
If not then I'd like to hear form early childhood educators a bout
more appropriate wording.

I guess a lot of us are still on vacation.

Martin

>Well, while we are wordsmithing--
>
>>>A way of understanding and learning about the natural world around us.
>>>
>>>Martin
>
>Why "natural" world?  What does that mean to a 7 year old? Or to
>anyone?  Is it in contrast to the "supernatural" world? Or to the
>features of the world that are built by humans?  Are those excluded
>from science?
>
>And why "around us?"  Does that exclude "within us?"  And if it
>doesn't exclude that, then what is the purpose of the phrase?
>
>And what is the difference between "understanding" and "learning"
>from a 7 year old POV?
>
>So, martin's suggestion might be rephrased: "A way of learning about
>the world."  Any useful definition has to include the
>characteristics that distinguish the object.  Richard Feynman
>defined science many times, but one of my favorites is "the belief
>in the ignorance of experts."
>
>Anyway, maybe this modification would work for 7 year olds:  "A way
>of looking at the world in which everything has to be proved"  I
>think 7 year olds are familiar with the taunt "Prove it!"  I realize
>that this can be misleading, but it gets at the difference between
>science and other ways of knowing.
>
>A grantwriter friend of mine has this above her desk:
>
>There are four basic human needs:
>
>Food
>Shelter
>Sex
>and...
>
>Editing other people's writing.
>
>Eric Siegel
>New York Hall of Science
>(718) 699-0005 x 317
>

>On Apr 17, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Explorit Exhibits wrote:
>
>>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>>institutions.
>>*****************************************************************************
>>
>>Martin's definition is almost word-for-word what I was going say.
>>
>>Anna
>>
>>>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>>>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>>>institutions.
>>>*****************************************************************************
>>>

>>--
>>-----------------------
>>Anna Grace
>>Exhibit Developer
>>
>>Explorit Science Center
>>3141 5th Street
>>P.O. Box 1288
>>Davis, CA 95617
>>530.756.0191
>>fax 530.756.1227
>>http://www.explorit.org
>>
>>Explorit's expanding!  Read more about the four gallery spaces, how
>>the building connects to Explorit's current site and when
>>construction will begin at
>>http://www.explorit.org/expansion/index.html.  Think it.  Try it.
>>Explorit.

> [...]

Martin Weiss, Ph.D