HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:04:10 -0500
Just to add some information, this is Sunshine Week, where we in
America ask for more open government and access to information under
freedom of information acts and laws. I recall requesting an
inter-library load from Ohio on the clay economics of the State of
Ohio, written in the 1930's. Interesting to me was that much clay was
imported from England, I imagine used in the finer wares produced in
East Liverpool, recently in the news when a school teacher there
fought the location of a large PCB incinerator near the school in the
town that has shrunk quite a bit since it was a manufacturing center
of American fine ceramics. I was interested in the origins of the New
York State ceramics of the "Syracuse" and "Buffalo" brand made there,
heavier ware used in retail food sales, having worked in washing
Melmac (camp) and serving steel plates (Zum Zum, "Bavarian fast
food").

George Myers