HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:50:56 -0400
I would like to thank everyone to responded to my post.  The online
Rathje article was interesting.  I may be remembering the 1991 National
Geographic Article - though Rathje spoke at a "Presenting the Past"
conference at the U of Minnesota around that time and may have mentioned
the typology then as well.

While we were discussing this at CCRG, I was thinking, like Timt's post
suggested, that it might be difficult to determine "brand" outside of
regional contexts - in that much beer (as well as soft drinks) were
bottled (canned) regionally, despite a national brand name.  I also
wondered if a brewer that made several varieties of beer (like Anheuser
Busch produces Michelob, Busch, and Budweiser for example) might use the
same cans, thus the same pull tabs, for different brands.

In any case (pun intended), thanks again!

Sean

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com