HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:11:28 -0400
The grafitti thread reminded me that during my tour with the Navy at the Fort
Rosecrans Historic District, San Diego, Calfiornia, I recorded a number of
chalk graffitti on the walls of a 1915 12-inch mortar artillery battery. They
were names and cartoons left behind by soldiers from 1942, when the U.S. Army
rushed troops to forts all over America in a desperate attempt to defend
America's borders. In truth, those mortars would have been totally exposed to
Japanese aircraft and were completely drawn and mapped by spies in the 1930s
(according to a Japanese tourist who wrote of his artwork in a CAMP journal about 20
years ago). We funded interpretive signs to be installed near the grafitti to
stop furture Navy folks from damaging them. Once the U.S. Army built new
long-range batteries in 1943, the soldiers vacated the 12-inch Battery White. I also
had money to restore one of the searchlights and put signs outside many of
the buildings.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.