HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:40:57 -0500
Updates to the Archaeology @ About.com Website

Articles:

Tree of Paradise: Roman Jewish Mosaics

http://archaeology.about.com/od/romanempire/a/mosaics.htm

An exhibition of Roman mosaics recovered from the 3rd century AD Jewish
synagogue at Naro, Tunisia, is planned at the Brooklyn Museum, New York,
beginning in late October 2005. The mosaics, showing natural, religious and
personal images, exemplify a little-known way of life, that of wealthy
Jewish citizens of the late Roman empire in Africa.

Koonalda Cave

http://archaeology.about.com/od/rockartsites/a/koonalda.htm

Koonalda Cave is a karst limestone cave in the middle south of the continent
of Australia, in the dry and desolate area called the Nullarbor Plain

Archaeology: The Comic (book review)

http://archaeology.about.com/od/booksforbeginners/fr/loubser.htm?nl=1

Johannes Loubser's "Archaeology: the Comic" is an introductory archaeology
text that uses the graphic novel medium to elucidate many of the trickier
technical discussions in archaeology.

Mighty White, Mighty Wrong

http://archaeology.about.com/od/ethics/a/harpers_3.htm?nl=1

Jack Hitt's article in Harper's called Mighty White of You incensed a number
of scientists practicing archaeology in the United States. R. Clark Wernecke
responds to comments by Alex Chaffee defending Hitt.

Animal Domestication Bibliography

http://archaeology.about.com/od/topicbibliographies/a/anidom.htm?nl=1

As part of an email course I'm working on, I've built a bibliography on
archaeological evidence of the history of the domestication of animals,
including camels, dogs, sheep, horses, llamas, alpacas, cattle, pigs and
reindeer.

Glossary Entries:

http://archaeology.about.com/od/glossary/

Numantia (Spain), Deer Lake Beach (Canada), Ras Budran (Egypt), Jaguar Cave
(USA), Capelinha (Brazil), Abric Romani (Spain), Minanha (Belize),
Regensburg (Germany), Dumpokjauratj (Sweden), Pedra Furada (Brazil), Nazca
Lines (Peru), Geoglyphs, Vedbaek (Denmark), Vedic Literature, Garcilaso de
la Vega [1539-1616], Vegas (Ecuador), Enlightenment, Dura-Europos (Syria),
Usujiri (Japan), Ephesus (Turkey), Epidauros (Greece), Erlitou (China),
Ertebolle-Ellerbeck culture, Ethnoarchaeology, Etiolles (France)

Quizzes:

Aksum http://archaeology.about.com/library/games/blaksum.htm

Rock Art http://archaeology.about.com/library/games/blrockart.htm

Guide to Graduate Schools

http://archaeology.about.com/od/guidetograduateschools/index.htm

East Carolina University, Cardiff University, University of Capetown

CRM Firms (being the start of a long-needed upgrade to the Contacts page)

http://archaeology.about.com/od/crmfirms/

TRC Garrow, Inc; Cultural Resources, Inc.; Dovetail Cultural Resource Group;
EMH&T, Inc; Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist; Markman Archaeology and
History, Inc.; Prewitt and Associates, Inc.; Public Archaeology Laboratory,
Inc

Feel free to spread it around, and thanks for reading!

K. Kris Hirst

Guide for Archaeology @ About.com

http://www.wasteflake.com

Quote of the Week:  I sort of thought I wanted to be an anthropologist. But
my father suggested I go to a cocktail party full of anthropologists first.
I did. He's a very wise man. - [American actress] Tea Leoni

More quotes at:

http://archaeology.about.com/od/quotations/