HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Petchey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:29:06 +1200
I am working on a survey report on Bullendale, a remote gold mining
settlement in southern New Zealand, where the first industrial
hydro-electric generating plant in NZ was commissioned in early 1886.
The original dynamos and original electric motor are all still on site
(although ruinous). I am trying to find out if any other such early
hydro-electric schemes survive (either intact or archæologically)
anywhere else in the world, with both generators and motors still in
place.

Any information would be welcome.

Peter Petchey
Southern Archaeology