HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:26:27 -0500
We find Rouen faience in the northeast as well, sometimes in 1750s contexts
in places like Newport, probably smuggled by merchants trading with the
French islands in the Caribbean. Occasionally, it turns up in small
quantities on later sites as well.  Possibly the all-time prize for ballast
artifacts though, may be from Newburyport, MA, where I seem to remember
hearing that Alaric Faulkner found a Paleolithic hand axe in what was pretty
definitively a WWII-era fill deposit.  This was back in the '70s.

Lauren J. Cook, RPA
Senior Archaeologist
Richard Grubb & Associates, Inc.
30 North Main Street