From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:34:56 -0500
He All,
I recently had 3 babies in one day none of whom could suck and one baby born
the next day who had no problem.  I went looking for some commonality among
these babies, thinking 3 babies in one day who couldn't suck was a bit odd.
There were different types of birth, different types of anesthesia/analgesia
as well as varying lengths of time for the anesthesia.  There were small
babies and big babies, full term, near term and post dates.  The ONLY
commonality I found is that the 3 babies who could not suck all had been
delee suctioned at birth (one for only 2 cc's!) and the one who could suck
had only been bulb suctioned.  Now, I realize this doesn't carry the weight
of a study where all factors have been taken into account, but still, I
think this is something our unit needs to look at.  In talking to the
manager (and a physician who bristled at any inference that deep suctioning
could cause sucking problems), I discovered that most of the babies on our
unit get delee suctioned as a matter of course!  I was shocked and we talked
about why this was and could it be a problem.  I am looking for any studies
that I could present to the manager and physicians or any information from a
recognized source on the effect of this procedure on newborns sucking
ability and/or recommendations for when it should be done (and not done).
Does anyone have such resources they'd care to share?  I know this has been
discussed here before but I didn't find references.  BTW, I love the google
search Cathy gave us.  One more reason to love Google!
Marsha

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.