ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fisher, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:36:23 -0500

Actually, I like the small glass aquarium. I've used plexiglass and plastic tanks for these CO2 experiments in the past, but always preferred the common pet-store variety aquarium for all of the reasons you mentioned - cheap, easy to get, can take the extreme temps, easy to see through them. In addition, they don't weigh very much, so they're easy to move around, easy to clean, fairly scratch resistant.

Martin S. Fisher

Director of Education

Nauticus, the National Maritime Center

One Waterside Drive

Norfolk, VA 23510

36°50'51"N 76°17'53"W 13 ft.

phone: (757) 664-1003, (800) 664-1080 ext. 41003

fax: (757) 623-1287 cell (757) 617-7080

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> www.nauticus.org <http://www.nauticus.org>

OK, this is one of those things where you know there has to be someone out

there who has thought of something better along the way...

We use your typical 5 or 10 gallon glass aquarium to do dry ice experiments.

(You know, floating bubbles, snuffing candles, the whole 9 yards) Each time

one breaks, I think "Gee, there has to be something better" but never get

around to it and then before you know it, it's 2 hours before the program,

so I run out and buy........another aquarium.

We like the aquarium mainly because it is transparent and easy to see the

bubbles floating and other stuff. It also helps that it can pretty much

hold up against the cold temps and is an easy to obtain off-the-shelf item.

Now I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of my ASTC colleagues: Who's got

a better idea?

I welcome your prompt thoughts and suggestions, as I need to buy one for

tomorrow morning!

Thanks!

Dante

Dante Centuori