From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:45:57 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<There's only one problem with this assumption - the  actual
"build up" does not get rolling at full speed until fresh
nectar  and pollen are coming into the hive.  Stores, no
matter what the  quantity available, simply won't do the
job, so one must do "simulative  feeding" of syrup and
fresh frozen pollen to make a significant increase in  the
bee population in a timely manner for either pollination
or a decent  spring crop.>>

Depends on the local honey flows. From what I  understand, many parts of the
States have short, intense flows, and then  nothing. Obviously, under those
circumstances, you need to build the  hives up ready to take advantage in order
to get a decent crop. Here in the UK,  I find that my bees bees start the
season on willow, move on to dandelion, then  have a steady trickle of honey
coming in until August or September, as long as  the weather is suitable. With no
real definable flow, and unpredictable weather,  stimulative feeding would be a
waste of time. What I need is bees which can take  advantage of whatever's
out there, any time the weather's suitable.

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley