ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy VanBeek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:06:19 -0600

Below is a list of some of the ways we work with formal education
1) We were on the State Department of Education committee that wrote the
new state science standards
2) We were on the State Department of Education committee that is
helping to develop and review the statewide science test
3) We were on the School District committee that chose the current
science textbook for the largest school district in the state, and have
made ourselves available to help smaller schools in their selection of
appropriate science materials.
4) We are a Supplemental Education Service Provider (SES) for the state
of South Dakota. This means that if a child is going to a school that is
not meeting the Federal Mandates, parents can choose us to provide
additional education outside of the regular classroom. Our program is
the Summer Reading Adventure Camp. It teaches reading through science.
Students learn in a way we know works best; hands-on, fun, frustrating,
brain engaging and by creating curiosity. The SES students must take a
nationally recognized test both at the beginning and at the end of the
program to provide evidence that the students are learning. This is our
second year and from all possible evidences, we are looking at being
double our initial anticipated capacity.
5) We have and continue developing Activity Sheets that the students can
use while at the Science Center. The current favorite is the Wave Fan.
On this sheet, the students prowl the science center and the art center
looking for the different way waves travel: light, sound, water, the
torsion tower wave and so on. The goal is to get away from a single
exhibit a single experience and more toward how science overlaps,
clashes and zaps all around the students inside and outside the
facility. The Activity Sheets are also something the teacher can use in
the classroom to reinforce the experiences the students had at the
science center.
6) We are currently creating a series of Family Experience Nights based
on science and math. The school district provides a night at the school
for all the students and their families in Title1 Schools to eat a hot
supper, participate in family learning time, introduce some educational
experiences to the parents as well as the students and have fun as a
community with the students, parents, teachers, principals and now us.
7) The science center has formed an Education Committee made up of
scientists, teachers, writers, college professors and school
administrators. Their job is to guide us in making the exhibits and the
materials we create, easy for the teachers to use yet full of science
and meet our criteria for fun and Oh WOW!
8) Every class, birthday party, lab, exhibit, demonstration, distance
learning opportunity and hand-out goes along with a state and/or
national standard. With the goal of the standards to create a scientific
literate society, we find it easy to meet the standards, but also go
beyond the basics and make the experience richer in fun, exploration,
science and learning.

As a teacher for thirteen years, I cannot tell you the number of people,
programs and snake oil salesmen who told me that they could teach my
students anything and everything. If only I would give them enough money
and time. But, surprisingly enough they never had any real evidence that
it worked with real students in a real classroom consistently.

As a science community, we would never take a scientist's word that the
experiment worked. We would want proof, documentation or a solid past
reputation. Why should we expect teachers to be any different? It is
their careers and more importantly their students on the line.

The teachers overriding goal is the students. If all we can offer them
is rhetoric, we are of no use to them and we cannot gain their trust. If
we put our reputations and ideals on the line, if we can become partners
in the development of the students, if we can show that we are
trustworthy, reliable, and that helping the students is also our goal.
Then we will be able to develop a informal/formal partnership that rocks
the United States into a brand-new era of science exploration (no I'm
not exaggerating.)

 I have a much greater explanation and further examples that go beyond
what there is room for here. However, I would be glad to elaborate
extensively just ask me.

If you've made it this far into my very long message I should tell you.
The programs we have developed have helped us generate revenue as well
as meet the mission. The education revenue has grown by 67% since we
have started developing programs that meets our mission and the mission
of those we are trying to reach. We estimate being able to continue that
four year growth pattern for another four - six years before leveling
off. On the list above nothing is a loss either to mission or to revenue
and everything on that list helps create a society that values science,
exploration, experimentation, making connections and learning.

 Nancy Van Beek
KSDC Education Manager
Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science
301 S. Main Ave
Sioux Falls SD 57104
(605) 367-7397 ext 2374
www.washingtonpavilion.org

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday
is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow" Robert Goddard