ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
WAYNE LABAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:40:32 -0400

Sara

Certainly I understand your viewpoint but let me counter back to continue the discussion.

Whether we find ourselves working and living in a society which begins to expect our insitutions to have I.D. or creationism inside of them is something I do care about.

Unlike your bookstore, the big difference is that my actions, in the light I suggested and similar actions by others might actually make a direct impact on the museum profession's future.

Now I would agree this kind of action might be considered an escalation of the issue with negative aspects that may counter postives.  But many of these industries are part of ASTC - does this not mean that there are certain steps every member of ASTC should take to foster science understanding and learning?

I am struck by the mirror aspects of this discussion with one a museum might make about taking a large format film that mentions creationism.   Both have economic impacts on the industries that serve our field.

Wayne

Wayne J LaBar
Vice President, Exhibitions and Theaters
Liberty Science Center
251 Phillip Street
Liberty State Park
Jersey City, NJ 07305