Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:34:31 -0400
Don't we all wish we had the technology to individually tailor mom's own milk for those
micropremies!

I guess I spent too much time (and not enough in other ways) around all those biochemical
nutritionists who had all those cool toys that cost tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars to
buy and came with high maintenance fees & expensive chemicals. So, it was not unusual to sit
through their presentations of their master's and doctoral dissertation work where there was in
detail analysis of all sorts of precursors and metabolites of various different nutrients.  I did get to
work with an iodine autoanalyser which was primitive in comparison and back in the day of my
brief genetics work - one of those ultracentrifuges that can walk through walls if misbalanced.

But to respond to Nancy, I was actually not thinking that they had done an individual analysis, but
rather a "pooled" analysis of their premie donor moms.  Again, there is a whole statistical art to
pooled analysis of biological samples.  It can be extremely useful in huge population studies.
Cornell had this huge program collecting tons of data on biochemical samples for nutrition
analysis in China that used such "pooled techniques".  I'm having nightmarish visions of those
incomprehensible statistical formulae dancing through my head right now.  For a tried and true
statistician as opposed to someone with a background in epidemiology these are not really
difficult techniques.  The statisticians who worked on this for the Cornell biochemical nutritions
originally worked on statitics for agricultural plots, believe it or not, and applied it to nutrition.
For that reason, I had to struggle with terminology used by the agricultural statisticians when I
went to CDC and had to learn their "language" for the same statistical tests.

Anyway, it seems to me that pooled analysis of samples would be a great way to determine the
"average"  of these nutrients in a way that wouldn't be overly costly.  Far more affordable than any
individual analysis at this point in time.  Now, clearly I have also been watching too much CSI,
because I want to go back and examine the trace evidence.  I'm sure by now, those samples of
milk are history.

So, I hope I got this right.  It is a reasonable speculation that iit could very well be that the protein
and calorie content of the "donor milk" was not sufficiently "premature" to meet the needs of these
tiny babies.  Is that the gist?

Best, Susan

It must be clear to you all by know that my PhD really signifies permanent head damage.  I spent 6
glorious years when this type of discussion was held on a daily basis and I must be missing it right
now.