HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Grace Turner." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:13:22 -0400
I'm researching glass from a 19th century site near
Williamsburg, VA. There are two complete bottles I need help
with. Both have embossed labels but I'd like more specific
details.

One is clear glass with a aqua tint, round, and stands 10.5cm
tall. It's labelled 'VIRGINIA/ WORM KILLER.' I'd like to have
some idea of the ingredients,if possible, as well as the
period, and place of manufacture.

The other bottle is of clear glass, 13.7cm tall, rectangular
with four recessed panels. One of the large panels is
labelled 'ROYAL CHEMICAL/ CO/ NASHVILLE TN.'

I've checked a number of books on 19th century bottles,
especially phamaceutical and patent medicines. For VA I've
checked, Bottled in Richmond 1819-1930, and Old Bottles of
the Virginia Peninsula 1885-1941. I'd appreciate any
suggestions please.

Grace Turner

Graduate Student
Department of Anthropology