From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:36:32 -0400
Iskender Savasir asks:

>Would anyone have an idea as to why Rameau was particularly interested
>in the tambourine?  Are there any precursor to the said interest?  Or
>is it something we meet for the first time in Rameau?

It's a bit of a misnomer.  The "Tambourin" dances in Rameau's operas are
not really meant to be played with a tambourine in the sense that most
people think of them nowadays--i.e.  a small hand drum with the little
cymbals attached on the periphery.

Instead, the name of the dance refers to the use of a "tambour", or a
type of drum that was used in various areas of France and Spain.  I've
never seen one played, but from recordings I would presume these are
played with sticks, not struck with the hand.

Thus a more 'authentic' rendition of a Rameau Tambourin would be played
with a drum, and not have any jangly tambourine sounds associated with
it.

As for who might have been the first to use the jingle-jangle tambourines,
I have no clue.

Bill H.