From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:53:09 -0400
Ann Ozorio on the DFD compilation:

>Actually what I've also said was that it didn't seem to be aimed at
>people who didn't have much DFD either.  The compilation seems randomly
>thrown together and tackily produced.  While there are good things -
>Demus and the DVD for example, there are some choices which are more
>questionable and decidedly "lesser".  anced account of this singer's
>great career.  This release is a marketing gimmick so no doubt it will
>find its target audience.

Well let's think about this.  I bought one and Ann bought one (unless
she has a review copy) so the admittedly skimpy evidence suggests that
the target audience is people on this list!!!  That makes sense- the
audience for lieder is not exactly huge.

For twenty bucks, the DVD and the Schumann alone are worth it., although
I have high hopes for the SCHubert, Brahms, and Debussy.  I listened
to the Ruckert Lieder last night- NOT a high point at all.  It does not
touch Ferrier, and yet- worth hearing!!.So maybe lowbrow cheapskates are
the target audience - I can handle that.

Bernard Chasan