From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:02:14 +0100
Bernard Chasan wrote of the 80th birthday commemorative set:

>Maybe its aimed at listeners like me who don't have a lot of F.D.
>already in their collections.  The focus is on the 19th century song,
>where it should be.  The packaging is fine- no jewel box in sight which
>is a blessing, as is the music.

Actually what I've also said was that it didn't seem to be aimed at
people who didn't have much DFD either.  The compilation seems randomly
thrown together and tackily produced.  While there are good things -
Demus and the DVD for example, there are some choices which are more
questionable and decidedly "lesser".  People who'd genuinely like to
learn more would be well advised to listen to other offerings.  DFD
deserves better.  Indeed, the less a person knows, the more important
it is to introduce quality and to a balanced account of this singer's
great career.  This release is a marketing gimmick so no doubt it will
find its target audience.

Anne