HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:26:22 -0600
Good question. I'd like to know as well. Most of the Japanese ceramics
meant for export with which I've dealt came from Japanese railroad
worker camps in Wyoming. However, the Japanese export ceramics were sold
at local mercantile stores, and the smaller rice bowls and saucers
probably had some appeal as whatnot shelf items in the wider
communities. Certainly Geisha Girl in particular shows up in secondhand
stores along with the more western-patterned Japanese export. BJH

Barbara J Hickman, Staff Archeologist
Archeological Studies Program
Environmental Affairs Division, TxDOT
Telephone: 512.416.2637
Fax: 512.416.2643

>>> [log in to unmask] 01 February, 2006 3:11 PM >>>

Histarch Ceramics Analysts:

Has anyone produced economic scaling indexes for Japanese export ware
ceramics(such as EuroAmerican styled vessels of blue transfer, geisha
girl, phoenix, etc.)?

How about something for toilet items such as ewers, basins, chambers,
etc.?

I would appreciate citations sent to [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
S. Walter