From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2005 07:25:30 -0500
Karl Miller wrote:

>It is my understanding that Google plans to make available only a few
>pages from these texts (well within the copyright guidelines), yet their
>scanning of copyrighted material, a complete book, is clearly illegal.

Can you explain a bit more?  For purposes of this list, for example,
suppose I want listmembers hear a bit of a disk I own.  How much can I
post on a website making the link availaible to listmembers, say?  How
much of each track?  How much of a CD? It isn't for making a sale (but
see below), but for what I would call educational purposes.

>Google does not own the copy, nor is it in immmediate need of preservation.
>By letting people know a bit about a book, might it not make them want to
>purchase the book...possibly so?

Right.  I'd think many record compainies would be happy to have you
advertise for them via a slice of publically available music.  Of course,
Amazon and others do this, but I presume they have agreements.  Or maybe
not?  They only provide small chunks, but that could be a space issue.
I recall Naxos limiting their freebies to (I think) 25% of each track,
but again, I don't know the real story.

Anyway, there is occasionally something I'd like the list to hear and
comment on.  What are the parameters for legally doing that?

Rick