Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:05:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Dear all:

II have receieved the list of those organizations thare have been doing long term work in Niger 
and are much more likely to continue to work in Niger to rebuild after the emergency.  The latter 
is very important for long-term development rather than just the immediate crisis.  Some of the 
organizatiosn that are doing short-term work may not understand the Nigerien counterparts as 
well and build SEPARATE structures that will disappear after the crisis.  Or... what really annoys 
me, create a ping pong system where kids are kicked out after they go from severe to moderate 
malnutrition and then the kids are right back in again.  Moderate malnutrition is still life 
threatening.

"The major players who are on the ground are Catholic Relief Service (CRS), World Vision, CARE, 
Helen Keller International (HKI), World Food Programme (WFP) and UNICEF. There are lots of others 
doing more emergency work only who have come in for the emergency."

You can visit the websites to find out about each organization.  I have visited the UNICEF, HKI, and 
CARE websites so far.  I know CARE had good programs when I was there in 1999.  UNICEF is a big 
organization and seems to be really paying attention now.  I can vouch for Helen Keller 
International's gardening program ---- which has demonstrated improvements in nutritional 
status. 

Feel free to add comments about hoping that these programs will also include an emphasis on 
improving exclusive breastfeeding after visiting the UNICEF website which will give you the 
statistics.  My friend said that most of the children who are dying are OVER 2 years of age ---- 
which means that breastfeeding is clearly keeping the mortality in check.  More is always better.

best regards, Susan

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2