From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:01:36 -0400
> Baby problem -    I am working with a mother and her 12 week old son born at
> 36 weeks gestation, 7#10. Choking and difficulty breathing occurs during
> feedings, both breast and bottle. He does alright for the first 3-5 minutes
> takes in 2-3 oz in 5 min or less, but then starts to struggle. He comes off
> and on the breast and feeding will then take 45 min to an hour to get
> another 1-2oz in him. His latch is shallow as I would expect with the fast
> flow - guarding. He normally takes 7 feeds in 24 h and sleeps 8 hour
> straight at night.

What happens if everyone simply respects baby's cues -- both to BF and to stop in 5 min or less? If doing alright during that time and taking in 2-3 oz in that time, why "make" him stay at breast when he seems to be saying stop? (All but the first of my 5 babies, including my twins, generally BF for 5 min or less within 2 weeks postpartum.) Would he simply cue to BF for more often? Seven BF in 24 hours is not the norm nor is going 8 hours at night at his age. If he wasn't having issues, I'd say "if it ain't broke..." but forcing him to continue does not seem to be working. Is there some reason this baby can't be trusted to know what he wants/needs as per other fully BF babies? (Even age-adjusted to 8 weeks, he should be able -- and seems to be trying his darndest -- to be trusted to cue for feedings.)

Unless there's some compelling medical reason that I'm missing, I'd suggest the mom back off and let the baby set the pace. I'd highly recommend some mother-baby kangarooing between feeds so baby can just enjoy the ambience of Mom's restaurant without any pressure to clean his plate.

I'm not sure I understand why hyperprolactinemia is suspected; her volumes aren't that unusual -- especially if the breast is only being "emptied" 7x per 24 hours. Could she be stimulating an artificial overproduction by too much pumping on top of baby's BF?

Karen