ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:19:55 -0400

Sorry for the cross post for those who subscribe to Museum . Below is
the article referred to in The Oklahoman.

Martin

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:04:51 -0700
From: Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tulsa Zoo and Creationism
Sender: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Approved-by: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
  h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
  b=jIhGWx774IL4Ztv4yZMQBtK+1ya/acXNEZ3Hx7FpZl2ipiauiKSmsgtBjrRrviCikkBS4o6j0hemd14ObcbaI7Ekau0H+1q040BO0/vztHgLWLxHRgiSVae2hlKxgN9jIcanzYy++56hFZo5AKMqepNDM8eSuAUU5fMW6+ioq6Q=
              ;
Hello listers,
Without going into the religious side of the
discussion, I thought I'd bring this up to you folks.
The Tulsa Zoo has been ordered by its board to install
an exhibit on creationism. The zoo has an exhibit on
evolution, but what really got folks riled was a hindu
statue of an elephant (Ganesha), and a piece of art
that says "the earth is our mother." The
pro-creationism folks say the door was opened by the
Zoo when they put the info and icons on other
religions in the Zoo. There is info on the Tulsa World
and Daily Oklahoman web pages, but you must go through
the free registration process to read the articles.
Cheers

Wed June 8, 2005
Hindu statue at Tulsa's zoo spurs plans for creation exhibits

By Chad Previch
The Oklahoman

  TULSA - The Tulsa Zoo will have to add exhibits showing several
cultural views of creation, the Tulsa Park and Recreation Board voted
Tuesday.
  David Conrad of Bixby and Anna Ewing of Jenks look at the statue of
Ganesha at the Tulsa Zoo. Photo by Mel Root

  The vote came after a complaint that some religions were represented
at the zoo while others were not. The main complaint centered on a
5-foot elephant statue called "Ganesha," the Hindu god of success.

  Ganesha, which sits near the elephant exhibit, has been there about
10 years, but Dan Hicks, a Tulsa resident, said it was religious -
not educational.

  "I think this decision by the Park and Recreation Board is a victory
for the citizens of Tulsa, because the majority view of creation is
now going to be represented at the Tulsa Zoo," Hicks said. "To
present both sides of the story, that's education. We certainly hope
the Tulsa Zoo is interested in education."

  Hicks proposed that the Bible verse of Genesis - the Christian story
of creationism - should be told at the zoo through a story board,
said Ross Weller, acting park and recreation director.

  Instead, an amended motion, which will include other cultural
explanations, passed, 3-1, after 27 speakers and 2_ hours.

  Kim MacLeod, spokesman for Mayor Bill LaFortune, said Hicks, not
taxpayers, will pay for the new exhibits. She said LaFortune, who
voted for the motion, thinks it's fair to include other religious
views.

  "The doors have already been opened for religious symbols because of
these other exhibits that are based on different cultures or
religions," she said.

  A disclaimer that there are many religious beliefs on how the world
was created will accompany the new exhibits, MacLeod said. She said
Hicks has tried unsuccessfully to make changes at the zoo in the past.

Michael Camfield, development director for the American Civil
Liberties Union of Oklahoma, questioned why any religious viewpoints
are being expressed at a city-run zoo.

  "We don't believe that it's an important use of government funds," he said.

  Dale McNamara, the board member who voted against constructing a
creation timeline, said she remembers going to the zoo to look at the
animals and their surroundings.

"I feel that religion should stay in the church and not at a zoo
where the zoo is meant to teach everyone about all the different
cultures and the animals," she said.

  Marnie Ducato, spokeswoman for the zoo, said the elephant's purpose
was not religious.

"It's strictly put out there in reference of the culture of where the
elephants are from," Ducato said.

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science